My dear Kacvey,
There is no doubt that your students and you had already been well aware of the strongman’s speech, part of which was reported by Radio Free Asia (RFA) to which big thank and appreciation are hereby extended. On 3 August 2017, RFA’s website presented the article under the title: លោក ហ៊ុន សែន គំរាមពីការស្លាប់ខណៈបក្សប្រឆាំងថាកម្ពុជាជារបស់ប្រជាជាតិខ្មែរទាំងមូល
RFA’s article reproduced a long sentence pronounced by the strongman that contains his dim and gloomy view not only about himself but also about the situation ex-post his era. If what he said is what he meant, there is no doubt that the tone and the substance betray the strength and power that he is holding autocratically. Like the flattened Michelin tire man, the strongman is unplugged!
This is a segment of what RFA reported:
លោក ហ៊ុន សែន ដែលកាន់អំណាចជាង ៣០ឆ្នាំនៅកម្ពុជា សង្កត់ធ្ងន់ថា ប្រសិនបើលោកស្លាប់ភ្លាម នោះមន្ត្រីនៅក្នុងជួររដ្ឋាភិបាលក្រោមការដឹកនាំរបស់លោក រាប់តាំងពីឧបនាយករដ្ឋមន្ត្រី ទេសរដ្ឋមន្ត្រី រដ្ឋមន្ត្រី រហូតដល់អនុរដ្ឋលេខាធិការដែលមានមុខងារនយោបាយ នឹងត្រូវរលាយទៅតាមលោកជាស្វ័យប្រវត្តិភ្លាមដែរ។ ដូច្នេះ លោកថា គឺមានតែក្រុមយោធា និងនគរបាលដែលឋិតនៅក្នុងមុខងារសាធារណៈទេ ដែលជាអ្នកគ្រប់គ្រងសភាពការណ៍។
«នៅទីនេះមានអគ្គបញ្ជាការ ប៉ុល សារឿន អគ្គនគរបាលជាតិ នេត សាវឿន អគ្គបញ្ជាការរង និងមេបញ្ជាការអាវុធហត្ថលើផ្ទៃប្រទេស សៅ សុខា ប៉ុន្តែនៅមានបណ្ដាអង្គភាពដទៃទៀតដែលពេលហ្នឹងជួនកាលមានការញុះញង់ គឺវាយគ្រឹបតែម្ដង ខ្មោចមិនអាចងើបមកត្រួតត្រាសភាពការណ៍ទេ ហើយ ទៀ បាញ់ ក៏អស់តំណែង ស ខេង ក៏អស់តំណែង តើទៅត្រួតពីណាទៀត? អ៊ីចឹងរឿងហ្នឹង ពេលខ្លះត្រូវយល់ កុំចង់ឲ្យ ហ៊ុន សែន ងាប់ ទុក ហ៊ុន សែន ដើម្បីនឹងគ្រប់គ្រង»
Let focus on the above two paragraphs and parse themthrough and through.
- “លោក ហ៊ុន សែន …សង្កត់ធ្ងន់ថា ប្រសិនបើលោកស្លាប់ភ្លាម” and “ពេលខ្លះត្រូវយល់ កុំចង់ឲ្យ ហ៊ុន សែន ងាប់ “
– Is this a self-premonition that, like in Frank Sinatra’s “My Way”, forebodes “And now, the end is near”?
– Or is this an admission of his own vulnerability as a human nature with life and death?
– Or is this an acknowledgement that the erosion of power has not only sapped his autocratic regime but also affected his own health and governing capacity?
– Has the happiness in governing autocratically already died, been buried and instead embodied in Satan of madness, rage and delusion?
– What has happened to the idea and desire to rule the country until 90 years of age?
– Why all of a sudden talking about death by voluntarily omitting its cause?
– Why associating death with end of power, when power can be transferred or ended without death?
– Has self-doubt invaded the arrogant confidence?
– Has invincibility started to abandon the suit of armor and the metallic helmet that was donned for 33 years?
– No Buddhist of sincere faith and tenet wish nobody’s death, but they wish the destruction and death of autocracy.
2. “មន្ត្រីនៅក្នុងជួររដ្ឋាភិបាលក្រោមការដឹកនាំរបស់លោក រាប់តាំងពីឧបនាយករដ្ឋមន្ត្រី ទេសរដ្ឋមន្ត្រី រដ្ឋមន្ត្រី រហូតដល់អនុរដ្ឋលេខាធិការដែលមានមុខងារនយោបាយ នឹងត្រូវរលាយទៅតាមលោកជាស្វ័យប្រវត្តិភ្លាមដែរ”
This is where nonsense meets sheer lunacy.
– If he disappeared, why his ministers and minions have to disappear concomitantly or simultaneously?
– If he disappeared, would his progenies who also happen to be ministers or “èk odom” melt away like wax in the heat?
– What magical force does he have to drag his ministers and minions to the same end as his?
– Is he a guru that can order his disciples to jump into the fire when he says “jump”?
– Are these the words of a madman in trance or delirium?
– On the contrary, what would his ministers and minions and their families think when they hear such foolishness and madness?
3. “គឺមានតែក្រុមយោធា និងនគរបាលដែលឋិតនៅក្នុងមុខងារសាធារណៈទេ ដែលជាអ្នកគ្រប់គ្រងសភាពការណ៍។”
«នៅទីនេះមានអគ្គបញ្ជាការ ប៉ុល សារឿន អគ្គនគរបាលជាតិ នេត សាវឿន អគ្គបញ្ជាការរង និងមេបញ្ជាការអាវុធហត្ថលើផ្ទៃប្រទេស សៅ សុខា“
So, three names are presented to the public; three names to carry the flag of repression and dictatorship; three names forming a triumvirate. If it comes true, who would be triumvir Julius Caesar, who Pompeius Magnus and who Marcus Crassus?
Assuming the designated triumvirate would take place, this would be the first time in Khmer history that three men would share power.
– Well, well, well: three Khmer sharing power? Three armed factions sharing power? Only fools fool themselves; fools can’t fool Khmer. Anybody still remember “the trio” on political campaign billboards throughout the country, one already gone, now only two still present?
– What are the national doctrine and political philosophy that bind these three triumvirs together?
– Would the soldiers, policemen and bodyguards be willing to continue part of the army of repression after the final departure of the autocrat?
– Why does the autocrat omit to mention the role that he has been nurturing for his progenies? Aren’t they good enough that daddy has to exclude them from leadership? Or are they rather be part of a plan “to go abroad”? SOS – Save Our Souls!
4. “ប៉ុន្តែនៅមានបណ្ដាអង្គភាពដទៃទៀតដែលពេលហ្នឹងជួនកាលមានការញុះញង់ គឺវាយគ្រឹបតែម្ដង”
Now the real secret is finally revealed! So a secret force is hidden somewhere and even unknown to the triumvirate’s forces. Is it the fishing boats in the waterways across the country? Among the car mechanics along major arteries or the worshipers in Bokor? The leftovers from 9 January 1979 and 1985?
The mentor has become master, and the mentee is bonded for life to the mentor whose eyes are sharper than Cyclops.
5. “ទៀ បាញ់ ក៏អស់តំណែង ស ខេង ក៏អស់តំណែង តើទៅត្រួតពីណាទៀត?”
Oh, Kacvey, these two individuals must feel betrayed by the man they have been serving through thick and thin for decades. Politics has no gratitude or loyalty. Especially, ex-KR politics. Once a KR, always a KR. KR’s wheel of power always remains bloody and soulless.
So, while still alive, he’s openly pitting the triumvirate against his two vice-premier “samdachs”, and at the same time sacrificing them in plain daylight to the altar of his self-destructive ego.
Sooner or later, the public will know whether or not these two vice-premiers are real “men” with principle and self-esteem, or are they just disposable “pawns” on the autocratic chess board.
6. “ទុក ហ៊ុន សែន ដើម្បីនឹងគ្រប់គ្រង”
How desperate it sounds of him to plead for his own status quo! A desperate man creates his own despair in his own desperate situation. In a state of despair, he not only oxymoronizes but also does double talking in order to confuse the public: at the beginning he created a hypothetical situation of his departure “ប្រសិនបើលោកស្លាប់ភ្លាម“, but at the end he pleads for remaining in power “កុំចង់ឲ្យ ហ៊ុន សែន ងាប់ ទុក ហ៊ុន សែន ដើម្បីនឹងគ្រប់គ្រង”
It’s against any religious beliefs and virtuous principles to abandon a sick man or a desperate one. Let the experts in medical filed take care of the illness, but let Cambodians of all walks of life wish him well in his battle against his health trouble. Nobody ”ចង់ឲ្យ ហ៊ុន សែន ងាប់“, but nobody wants to “ទុក ហ៊ុន សែន ដើម្បីនឹងគ្រប់គ្រង” for ever.
Cambodians want him to respect, in a civilized and democratic manner, their voice and their concerns towards the elections on 22 July 2018 and thereafter:
– No cheating.
– No killing 100 to 200 people.
– No smashing teeth.
– No beating with bamboo sticks.
– RFA, 4 December 2017: សុខភាពលោក ហ៊ុន សែន ចាប់ផ្ដើមទ្រុឌទ្រោមខណៈលោកថាអាចកាន់អំណាច៣០ឆ្នាំទៀត