My dear Kacvey,
The cosmic second has just passed, carrying all of us to 2020!
Happy New Year 2020 to you, your students and everybody inside and outside our Circle!
Happy New Year 2020 to all Khmer who are:
– free, not valet of foreigners,
– loving and working towards true democracy, and not past-KR affiliated,
– respecting human rights, not abusers, oppressors or authoritarians,
– serving the country and its people, not a party or a person,
– honest, not corrupt and hypocrite,
– working hard to earn a living with their own blood, sweat and tears, not bought out by the ugly color of unqualified money, and
– agents of CHANGE for a better future of the country and its people.
Honestly, will Cambodia be “Happy” as wishes for happiness would mean to be? As crystal ball is in short supply among people who think, the probability that the country under the direction of the ex-KR-turned-autocrat would worsen is rather high:
– How is it possible for the ex-KR-turned-autocrat return the country to the democratic arrangement before he dissolved the opposition party and subsequently organized a sham election?
– How is it possible for the ex-KR-turned-autocrat to get rid of the fear of being treated like Najib Razak of Malaysia, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan or Omar al-Bashir of Sudan?
– How much longer the ex-KR-turned-autocrat can walk the tight rope and balance himself between China and Vietnam to which he has ceded everything that is Khmer, just for the sake of him staying in absolute and uncontested power?
– How is it possible for the ex-KR-turned-autocrat to undo and to unshackle himself from the excessive and continuing plethora of Chinese, masters of the Dara Sakor project, the hundreds of casinos, condominiums, triads, dams …
– How is it possible for the Khmer to breath some air of freedom and liberty when the ex-KR-turned-autocrat used missiles, machine guns and thousands of policemen and soldiers to intimidate and threaten Khmer civilians walking with bare hands?
– Similarly, it will all come down to this: How is it possible for the ex-KR-turned-autocrat to recover his lost eyesight?
But nothing is seemingly and totally lost yet, as history tells us, again and again, that everything has an end, and contemporary history will also have an end: Colonialism, Francoism in Spain, Salazarism in Portugal, Apartheid in South Africa, the USSR, The Iron Curtain, the Berlin Wall, the Chinese Cultural Revolution, the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Sihanouk, Lon Nol, Pol Pot …
For our part, let continue to do what we, you, your students and us, have been doing with more determination and better knowledge. An effective individual cell, no matter how small it is, can contribute to cure the Khmer body and kill the virus infected by the ex-KR-turned-autocrat.
Martin Luther King, Jr., once said: “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.”
Happy New Year 2020, and throughout!