My dear Kacvey,
Were you invited to meet the Hungarian Péter Szijjártó who was on a flash visit in the City of Tonlé Buon Mouk? If you were you have to read this letter while in voluntary quarantine, … and listening to Frank Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsodies!
If you weren’t, the links below will tell you how the visit ended up and the souvenir that the visitor left behind for the weak strongman. While you’ll be reading them, chances are that you certainly recall the Westerdam saga in Kg Som on 13-14 February 2020 where the weak strongman played superman with no fear of the corona virus.
The list will be updated as availability of info happens.
France 24, 4 November 2020
Hungarian minister tests positive for virus on Southeast Asia tour
Asia Times, 4 November 2020
Hungarian minister tests positive in Southeast Asia
Associated Press, 4 November 2020
Hungary’s Foreign Minister Tests Positive For Coronavirus
Remix, 4 November 2020
Hungarian FM Szijjártó has coronavirus, isolated in Bangkok hospital
Thmey Thmey, 4 November 2020
សម្តេច ហ៊ុន សែន ដាក់ខ្លួននៅដាច់ដោយឡែក ក្រោយជួបរដ្ឋមន្ត្រីការបរទេសហុងគ្រីដែលមានកូវីដ-១៩
Channel News Asia, 4 November 2020
Hungary’s foreign minister tests positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Thailand
VOA, 4 November 2020
Euro News, 4 November 2020
Hungary’s foreign minister tests positive for coronavirus while on state visit to Thailand
RFI, 4 November 2020
លោកនាយករដ្ឋមន្ដ្រីហ៊ុន សែន និងអ្នកពាក់ព័ន្ធជិតស្និទ្ធមានលទ្ធផលតេស្តអវិជ្ជមានកូវីដ១៩
Bangkok Post – 4 November 2020
Hungarian foreign minister tests positive on arrival in Bangkok
VOA, 5 November 2020
មនុស្សជាង៦០០នាក់ ធ្វើតេស្តកូវីដ លទ្ធផលអវិជ្ជមាន ក្រោយប្រាស្រ័យទាក់ទងជាមួយរដ្ឋមន្រ្តីហុងគ្រី
Hundreds Test Negative After Coming in Contact with Infected Hungarian Minister
VOD, 5 November 2020
Official Says Hungarian Delegation, Foreign Ministry Asked for No Masks
San Francisco Chronicle, 8 November 2020
Cambodia shuts schools in capital area as virus precaution
RFI, 8 November 2020
លោក ហ៊ុន សែន៖ លទ្ធផលវិជ្ជមានកូវីដ១៩លើអង្គរក្សខ្មែរ គឺជាបញ្ហាធ្ងន់ធ្ងរបំផុត
Phnom Penh Post, 8 November 2020
PM: Covid situation in Cambodia ‘alarming’
Straits Times, 9 November 2020
A*Star researchers simulate how droplets fly when a Covid-19 patient coughs without a mask
Thmey Thmey, 9 November 2020
លោក សួស យ៉ារ៉ា, ទូតហុងគ្រីនៅកម្ពុជា និងមន្ត្រីកសិកម្មឆ្លងកូវីដ-១៩ពីរដ្ឋមន្ត្រីហុងគ្រី
VOD, 9 November 2020
Three More Found With Covid-19 in Second Tests After Hungarian Visit
Cambodianess, 9 November 2020
Three More Test Positive for COVID-19 After Contact with Hungarian Foriegn Minister
Phnom Penh Post, 10 November 2020
PM urges calm in wake of ‘November 3 event’
UCA News, 10 November 2020
Cambodia acts after bodyguard tests positive for Covid-19
U.S. News & World Report,11 November 2020
Cambodia Bans State-Organized Events in Capital Over Virus
The Guardian, 11 November 2020
Cambodian PM isolating after Covid outbreak linked to Hungarian minister
RFA, 14 November 2020
មន្ត្រីការបរទេសហុងគ្រី ថារឿងមិនពាក់ម៉ាស់ គឺនាំអាទិ៍មកពីខាងភាគីកម្ពុជា
Let us ponder on a few things just to satisfy our own curiosity:
– Was the visitor tested before arriving in Pochentong?
– Were the Pochentong airport or government officials given the test results before deplaning?
– If the visitor was tested positive in Bangkok after an hour flight from Pochentong, did he get it before boarding the plane or in the plane?
– If he got it before boarding the plane, did he get it while in contact with maskless hosts, himself being maskless, or did he get it even before landing in Pochentong?
– Now, the weak strongman and his tribesmen are “self-quarantined”, but in such an autocratic regime, who dare control or verify whether or not they abide by the health requirements?
– Is this the way diplomacy is conducted between two ex-communist-turned-autocratic regimes?
– What type of friend is this, who came and went without telling that he tested positive and left with a “quarantine” souvenir for the host and his entourage?
– This whole enchilada reminds of this article by The Washington Post.
– More than 800 people, including ministers and high-ranked government officials, were estimated to be “in close contact” with the guest. Could it be statistically possible that none of these 800 people were tested positive? And what if the weak strongman, an ex-heavy smoker, were tested positive, would the public be informed?
How this will play out in the weeks or months to come is everybody’s guess, but one thing is certain, “something” will have to happen either in the Magyar capital or in the City of Tonlé Buon Mouk, as this fits exactly what Dr. Anthony Fauci has said: “A pandemic influenza would mean widespread infection essentially throughout every region of the world.”
The corona virus does not carry any passport, either Cambodian or Hungarian. It flies with and inside whom who flies.